I started out the project by first photographing the model so that I could use the photographs to aid in reassembling the model after being taken apart. Next I proceeded to disassemble the water tower which was primarily held together with a good number of screws. I did find in one location where apparently during its manufacture glue had been used to hold together a part where the screw had probably been over tightened and striped out the plastic. It took a little time but I was able to gently break the glue joint and continue with the disassembling the model. Once disassembled I used an airbrush to spray paint the parts flat black. I then began dry brushing the tank with natural earth tones to simulate the exposed wood sides as suggested by a Steve P. (SIRT on the OGR Forum) who really is an artist in O gauge. You can check out his website at http://steves3roscale.shutterf...%26cid%3dSHARE3SXXXX .
The towers roof was spray painted ruddy brown over the flat black to simulate asphalt shingles and the then the simulated wood parts were painted a brown color. The support structure was painted with a brush using a color created by mixing flat black and brown together. The spout was painted a grey color, highlighted with steel and finally some rust was applied.
After the model was painted and basically reassembled I applied some powdered chalk here and there and then dusted the model with some very diluted weathered black paint using the airbrush.
The last step was to return the model to the layout and work the scenery up to it in an effort to make it look as if it belonged at that location. I'm pretty proud of the overall results. Here are several of shots of the completed model.
With my next post Cronin's will be in place and I'll be ready to move to a whole different part of the railroad. Until then, happy railroading! Bo